When you step into your garage gym, it’s more than just a workout space; it’s your sanctuary, your escape from the daily grind. Playing some music on a good set of speakers will help you get in the zone for a good workout. With the right tunes, You’re ready to crush your fitness goals and unleash your inner beast.
The best overall garage gym speaker is the JBL Boombox 2 (Amazon). It’s loud enough and there is no set-up. Just put it down and connect your phone. If you want fixed speakers, check out the Pyle (Amazon) wall-mounted speakers. They’re cheap but good.
Let’s get into what the best choices are, what you should look out for and how to set up your speakers porperly.
- 1 Best Garage Gym Sound Systems
- 2 What Type Of Speakers Is Best For a Garage Gym?
- 3 Factors to Consider When Choosing Garage Gym Speakers
- 4 Setting Up Your Garage Gym Speakers
- 5 FAQ
Best Garage Gym Sound Systems
Best Overall Garage Gym Speaker: JBL Boombox 2
The best choice in this category is the JBL Boombox 2. Despite its relatively compact size, it packs a punch with its impressive sound output. It comes equipped with a convenient grab handle for easy transportation, boasts a 24-hour battery life, and delivers decent bass.
This speaker doesn’t require any installation, just plop it down anywhere you like and you’ve got music.
With its excellent water resistance and durability, the JBL Boombox 2 is suitable for virtually any situation you throw its way. Although it may not match the SoundBoks Go’s sound quality, the JBL Boombox 2 offers superior protection against water, making it a reliable companion for your adventures both indoors and outdoors. And it’s a good bit cheaper.
It has just such a nice balance of features that this is the speaker that will work best for the majority of people. The only drawback is that it’s not very cheap.
Best Cheap Garage Speakers: Pyle Waterproof 5.25″ Active
Who says you need to break the bank for quality sound in your garage gym? The Pyle Waterproof 5.25″ Active speakers offer an affordable option that doesn’t compromise on performance. These budget-friendly speakers boast solid audio quality, delivering clear vocals and decent bass, ensuring your workout playlist stays upbeat and motivating.
These speakers are built to mount on the wall so they’re out of the way and always there. They aren’t battery powered so you never have to worry about charging it either.
- Affordable option for those on a budget.
- Decent audio quality with clear vocals and adequate bass.
- Waterproof design suitable for sweaty gym sessions.
- Compact size and easy installation in any gym space.
- Lower sound output compared to more powerful speakers.
- Limited bass performance compared to higher-end models.
High-End Portable Bluetooth Speaker: SoundBoks GO
This compact powerhouse delivers impressive sound quality in a portable package, making it perfect for your garage gym.
The SoundBoks GO combines robust build quality, powerful audio performance, and long-lasting battery life, ensuring your workouts are always accompanied by heart-thumping beats. This speaker might not be cheap but it produces amazing sound at high volumes.
The GO’s weather-resistant design allows you to take your workouts outdoors without worrying about the elements. Plus, it’s easy to carry around with its built-in handle, so you can transport it effortlessly for your on-the-go fitness adventures. Get ready to take your workout motivation to the next level with the SoundBoks GO!
- Powerful and impressive sound quality.
- Portable and easy to carry with a built-in handle.
- Weather-resistant design for outdoor workouts.
- Long-lasting battery life ensures extended gym sessions.
- Sturdy build for durability and reliability.
- Higher price point compared to other portable speakers.
- Some users may find it too heavy for long-distance travel.
Best Gym Speaker For Classes: Mackie Thump Go 8″
The Mackie Thump GO 8″ is an excellent choice for trainers who teach classes for several reasons:
- Powerful Sound: With its 8″ woofer and 1″ compression driver, the Thump GO delivers powerful and clear audio, ensuring that your instructions and music can be heard by everyone in the class, even in large spaces.
- Good Sound Quality: Mackie is a brand that’s famous for producing high quality sound at high volumes and this speaker is no exception.
- Compatible with Wireless Microphones: You can connect a wireless (or wired) mic so you don’t have to scream for your students to hear your instructions.
- Portable and Lightweight: The Thump GO is designed to be easily portable and lightweight, making it effortless to transport from one class location to another. Its compact size doesn’t compromise on performance, allowing you to set it up quickly without much hassle. This is a relatively large speaker, it’s not a small Bluetooth one you put in your bag, this one needs a separate bag to transport.
- Rechargeable Battery: The built-in rechargeable battery ensures that you can conduct classes even in locations without power outlets, making it perfect for outdoor sessions or venues with limited electricity access. The battery is also removable for easy replacement.
- Wireless Bluetooth Streaming: With its Bluetooth connectivity, you can easily connect your devices wirelessly and play music or audio from your preferred source without needing additional cables, creating a seamless and clutter-free environment.
- Easy-to-Use Controls: The Thump GO features straightforward controls that allow you to adjust volume, EQ settings, and Bluetooth pairing easily, ensuring a smooth experience during your classes without any technical difficulties.
- Durable and Reliable: Mackie is known for producing robust and reliable audio equipment, and the Thump GO is no exception. Its sturdy construction and quality materials ensure that it can withstand the rigors of regular use in a fitness environment.
- Versatility: Whether you’re teaching dance, yoga, aerobics, or any other fitness class, the Thump GO can adapt to various styles of workouts and music genres, delivering consistent and excellent sound performance.
In summary, the Mackie Thump GO 8″ is a fantastic choice for trainers who teach classes due to its powerful sound, portability, wireless connectivity, ease of use, durability, and versatility, providing an optimal audio solution to enhance the training experience for both instructors and participants alike.
What Type Of Speakers Is Best For a Garage Gym?
While you can make pretty much any sound system work in a garage gym, there are some that are more suitable. The old-school separate amplifier and speakers are unnecessary since there are better, more convenient options out there.
Here are the best ways to get a music system in your garage gym:
1. Fixed Active Speakers
Active speakers, also known as powered speakers, have built-in amplifiers, eliminating the need for external amplifiers or receivers. These powerhouses pack a punch, delivering potent sound and a hassle-free setup.
Perfect for a plug-and-play experience, active speakers are a favorite among gym enthusiasts for several reasons:
- Simplified Setup: Active speakers make life easy-breezy. With their all-in-one design, you only need to connect your power and audio source, and you’re ready to unleash the beats.
- Space-Saving: Garage gyms often lack the luxury of extra space. Active speakers eliminate the need for additional amplifiers or receivers, saving you valuable real estate.
- Powerful Performance: Don’t underestimate their size! Active speakers often pack impressive power, making them ideal for filling your garage with sound.
- Precise Sound Control: Many active speakers come with built-in equalizers and sound adjustments, giving you the flexibility to fine-tune the audio to your liking.
Active speakers come in many shapes: There are ones that look like normal stereo speakers, but there are also wall-mounted or ones you can build into the ceiling. Usually, these are all Bluetooth enabled for easy connectivity.
2. Portable Bluetooth Speakers
Technically Bluetooth speakers are also active speakers since they have the amp built-in but these are supposed to be portable.
Here’s why you might consider a portable Bluetooth speaker.
- Wireless Convenience: Say goodbye to tangled wires and hello to wireless freedom. Bluetooth speakers connect effortlessly to your smartphone, tablet, or other devices, allowing you to control the music from anywhere in the gym.
- Portability Personified: Small in size but mighty in performance, Bluetooth speakers are perfect for those who want to take their beats on the go. Move them around your gym or even bring them outdoors for some sunny workout sessions. They come in all different sizes from small personal devices to big speakers you can use for group classes.
- Device Compatibility: With Bluetooth compatibility becoming standard across devices, you’ll have no trouble pairing your speakers with your favorite gadgets.
- Battery-Powered Flexibility: Battery-operated Bluetooth speakers keep the music alive, even when the power outlet is out of reach. This makes them an excellent choice for outdoor workouts or garage gyms with limited electrical access.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Garage Gym Speakers
Music can make a huge difference to your workouts and motivation. To make sure you don’t miss a beat, let’s explore the key factors you should keep in mind when choosing the speakers that are best for you.:
- Audio Quality and Power Output: In a gym, there can be plenty of other loud noises so you need something with some power that can produce a decent volume. Power output matters in this case. Audio quality is also important but we’re not looking for a high-end HiFi experience, just something that sounds good at moderate to higher volume levels.
- Garage Size: The size of your garage has a big impact on the size of speaker you need and how much power they have to handle. larger spaces need more powerful speakers and amplifiers to fill with music.
- Durability and Build Quality: Your garage gym can be a battlefield of iron and sweat, and your speakers need to be battle-ready. Seek speakers built to withstand the ruggedness of a garage gym. Or mount them somewhere safe of course.
- Connectivity Options (Bluetooth, AUX, etc.): Let’s face it – you’re not tethered to one device or playlist. Choose speakers that offer multiple connectivity options, like Bluetooth or AUX, so you can effortlessly switch between devices and keep the beats flowing.
- Portability and Installation: Think about your goals for these speakers. Do you want fixed speakers or have something you can easily move around? Whether you want to move your speakers around for different workouts or mount them securely, look for speakers that are easy to install and move.
- Price: What you want to spend on speakers for your garage gym is very personal. However, in most cases, it’s not necessary to go overboard. Sure, if you have the money to spend, get something nice but mid-range speakers are perfectly fine for most people.
- Battery Powered Or Not: If you want to leave your speaker in your gym, choosing one without a battery is better since you can just leave it plugged in. Leaving battery powered speakers charging all the time is not great for them.
Setting Up Your Garage Gym Speakers
Congratulations on finding your perfect garage gym speakers! Now it’s time to set the stage for an awe-inspiring audio experience. The way you position and fine-tune your speakers can make all the difference between ordinary sound and a symphony of motivation. Let’s dive into the art of speaker setup!
Garage Gym Speaker Placement Tips for Optimal Sound
Properly placing and setting up your speakers can actually make quite a large difference in sound quality and volume. Here are some tips to make your speakers work best in a garage gym.
- Centralize the Sound: To achieve a balanced soundstage, place your speakers at an equal distance from each other and the center of your workout space. This way, you’ll create a sweet spot where the sound envelops you. In a gym, you move around so just try to center it around the spot where you spend the most time.
- Avoid Obstructions: Keep the front away from walls and obstacles that can interfere with the sound waves and cause unwanted reflections or muffled audio. If there is a bass reflex port on the back, keep them a little away from the wall to give the speakers room to ‘breathe’.
- Elevate and Angle: For optimal sound dispersion, elevate your speakers slightly above ear level. Tilt them towards ear level in your workout area to direct the sound where you need it the most. In most garage gyms, placing the speakers just under the ceiling and pointing them down is the most practical. That way they’re out of the way of most moving things although not ideal for sound quality.
- Consider Room Acoustics: If your garage gym has hard surfaces that create echoes, consider adding some acoustic panels or rugs to dampen the sound reflections. A balanced acoustic environment will keep the music crisp and clear. Putting down gym flooring also helps a lot.
- Avoid corners: It’s best to not mount speakers in a corner where three surfaces meet (wall, wall, ceiling). You’ll easily get standing waves that really throw off the balance of your sound.
- Experiment and Fine-Tune: Don’t be afraid to play around with speaker positions until you find the sweet spot that resonates with your ears. Everyone’s gym space is unique, so feel free to experiment and tweak until you hit the right harmony.
Calibrating the Audio for Your Gym Space
Once your speakers are perfectly placed, it’s time to fine-tune the audio to match your gym’s unique acoustics. Let’s get the sound settings just right:
- Bass, Treble, and Balance: Every speaker and amplifier has its own distinct sound profile. Adjust the bass and treble levels to your liking, finding the balance that complements your workout style. A little extra bass can bring that extra pump to your lifts!
- Equalizer Settings: Many speakers come with preset equalizer settings designed for various music genres. Play around with these settings or create your custom equalizer profile to suit your preferred workout playlist.
- Volume Control: While we all love a good beat drop, ensure that the volume remains at a safe and comfortable level. Excessively loud music can lead to hearing fatigue and even long-term damage.
Can garage gym speakers withstand heavy workouts and vibrations?
Yes, most speakers can withstand heavy workouts and vibrations. Look for speakers with sturdy enclosures and rugged build quality to ensure they can handle the demands of your workouts. Keep in mind, big speakers create a lof of vibrations themselves so dropping a bit of weight is not going to matter unless you drop it on the speaker.
Are there weather-resistant garage gym speakers for outdoor use?
Yes, there are weather-resistant speakers specifically designed for outdoor use. These speakers often come with an IPX rating, indicating their level of water resistance. IPX7-rated speakers, for example, can be submerged in water up to 1 meter deep for up to 30 minutes. These weather-resistant speakers are perfect for outdoor workouts, as they can withstand rain, sweat, and other environmental elements.
Do garage gym speakers require a separate amplifier?
It depends on the type of speakers you choose. All of the speakers recommended above are active speakers.
Active speakers have a built-in amplifier, which means they don’t require a separate amplifier to function. They can be directly connected to your audio source, such as a smartphone or music player.